|Navigate: MooCow.com > Mama's Kitchen > New England Corned-Beef Dinner
McCalls Great American Recipe Card Collection, 1978, Card "New England", 19g
New England Corned-Beef Dinner
|About the recipe
In the 1970's McCall's magazine came out with a collection of collectible recipe cards. This recipe comes from that set and has been a family favorite ever since. We still have the original card (and collecting box)
- 4-5 lb corned beef brisket
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 whole cloves
- 10 whoel black peppers
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 medium carrots, pared
- 8 medium potatoes, pared
- 8 medium yellow onions, peeled
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut in 8 wedges
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- Chopped parsley
- Mustard sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or cooked salad dressing
- 1 Teaspoon chopped onion
- 1/2 Cup prepared mustard
- Wipe corned beef with damp paper towels. Place in large kettle; cover with cold water. Add garlic, cloves, black peppers and bay leaves.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Skim surface, then simmer, covered, 3 to 4 hours, or until meat is fork-tender.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and onions during last 25 minutes. Add cabbage during last 20 minutes. cook just until vegetables are tender.
- Make mustard sauce: Combine all ingredients, mix well. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use. Makes about 1 cup
- To serve: slice corned beef thinly across the grain. Arrange on one side of serving platter. Place cabbage wedges beside meat. Brush potatoes with butter, and place in serving dish; sprinkle with parsley. Arrange carrots and onions in another dish. Serve mustard sauce on the side.
- Remove bay leaves before serving
This recipe reheats well in microwave.
Copyright ©2007, Moocow.com